‘We’ll Never Make That Kind of Movie Again’ An Oral History of The Emperor’s New Groove, a Raucous Disney Animated Film That Almost Never Happened

I found myself pulled into this particular article because I grew up watching The Emporer’s New Groove as a child. It was one of my favorite movies of all time. I personally never occupied myself thinking about what kind of work went into making the film and what struggles they may have faced. So when coming across this article, I was intrigued to find that the movie could have very well not ever been created.

While reading it, I found the article to have a start to an intriguing lead. The article started with an ancedotal lead. stating that “The story of the making of the 2000 movie The Emperor’s New Groove is actually the story of the making of three movies, only one of which can be legally seen today.” Naturally, I found the last part of that sentence a little bit shocking, and it encouraged me to read further into the article to understand exactly what the author meant. Continuing, I found the rest of the author’s lead to be a little disappointing. Many long sentences became harder to read because there was no variety in sentence length, and there was repetitiveness throughout the paragraph.

In the end, I continued reading the article to find out exactly what went on behind the production of The Emperor’s New Groove. Still, I found the introduction to the article slightly disappointing and not very well done. I have included the link to the article below for those who also want to read it.

https://apple.news/AxqW8YWMCRYqdXOZtU84M7Q

2 Responses

1. Cassidy Seamount says:

This is one of my favorite movies. I agree that the rest of the lead was a bit disappointing but the first sentence alone pulls me in and made me want to keep reading.

2. Anders Parrott says:

Since you found that subject interesting, I thought I’d share a whole collection of articles on the topic of the less-successful animated movies of the era: https://www.polygon.com/animation-cartoons/21331611/underrated-animated-movies-box-office-bombs