Month: March 2021

Biden administration threatens tariffs on UK goods in ‘tech tax’ row

This article from BBC News examines the possibility of tariffs placed on UK goods coming from the US. For the most part BBC does a fantastic job with remaining neutral with the articles that they write. The language used is often very straightforward and presents only pure facts. This does not always hold entirely true…
Read more

Blog Post #10 Biden vs Trump

This article that I found is called ” Biden uses press conference as a chance to point fingers at Trump” and was Published by Maegan Vazquez on CNN news. This article is mainly talking about how in President Biden’s first solo news conference he talked about migrant children, gridlock, voting rights and gun control. President…
Read more

Blog Post #10 – Alabama Trans Youth Dismayed By State’s Effort to Block Hormone Therapy

An NPR article by Melissa Block titled “Alabama Trans Youth Dismayed By State’s Effort to Block Hormone Therapy” speaks on the recent bill that was proposed by the Alabama legislature to outlaw hormone therapy for all trans youth in the state. Block spoke to Syrus Hall, a 17-year-old transgender youth who has just begun his…
Read more

Derek Chauvin’s Trial Begins – Post #10

The article I found is “Derek Chauvin Trial: Jury Hears Opening Arguments” written by Bill Chappell, published by NPR. The story first lays the background of the case, detailing the events leading up to George Floyd’s death, and summarizes information gathered in the investigation that followed. Chappell then focuses on the ongoing trial of Derek…
Read more

Blog Post #10: Example of Last Week’s Political Journalism From Al Jazeera

The article I picked was “N Korea accuses UN of ‘double standard’ on missile tests” on Al Jazeera’s website.  This article keeps things pretty strictly factual, not wading into any ambiguities about what might have happened but restricting itself to things that are known to have happened.  “North Korea launched a new type of tactical…
Read more

She Left QAnon. Now She Doesn’t Know What To Believe

When searching for political articles this morning, I came across this particular article talking about a woman who strongly believed in the QAnon theories. After Joe Biden’s inauguration, she started falling out of the belief that the QAnon group believed in and started to realize that not everything she believed was true. One thing that…
Read more

Blog Post #9 Boulder active shooter at grocery store

I was scrolling through twitter and found ” Boulder ‘active shooter’ reported at King Soopers grocery store, police say“, that was written by Stephanie Pagones and Louis Casiano. It was Published on Fox News.com which was also a tweet that they linked the article in. The article reports that earlier today there was a massive…
Read more

The Supposed Call to Cancel Tony Stark

When scrolling through Twitter I came across a page that follows and compiles news for Marvel movies specifically. This linked me to an article that was about a supposed Twitter discourse over the character of Tony Stark, who in the latest Falcon and Winter soldier episode was revealed to have not paid the Avengers a…
Read more

Blog Post #9 – Why @EmoBlackThot’s Identity Reveal Hurt Black Women So Much

A Paper magazine article called “Why @EmoBlackThot’s Identity Reveal Hurt Black Women So Much” focuses on a popular social media influencer who built their brand around uplifting black women only to be exposed as a cisgender black male. This article is an excellent example of how social media identities can become so powerful that mainstream…
Read more

Blog Post #9: Example of Social Media Informing an Article from VICE

The article for today’s blog was one I found on Vice News’s Twitter timeline, “Not Even Trump Fans Care About Trump’s Social Network” by David Gilbert on www.vice.com.  I found this article’s use of social media sources odd, since it’s premise is built on anecdotes from “pro-Trump corners of the Internet,” but it doesn’t provide…
Read more